The Department facilitates the establishment of an integrated rural development by the provision of supportive infrastructure that transforms existing agric-production clusters into agricultural industrial hubs, while promoting and mainstreaming the various non-agricultural business investment streams of the rural populace into the economy for growth of the country.
The functions include:
- Providing the infrastructural needs of rural communities to enhance the socio-economic, cultural and livelihood of the populace
- Providing support to investment and the development of the non-crop enterprises to sustain all year-round wealth creation that improves the nutritional and health standards in rural households
- Mobilization of rural dwellers living in clusters to establish critical nodes for the transformation of rural communities into industrial hubs of development;
- Transforming existing micro production units (Enclave projects) into feeder (Consolidated) clusters that supports the Staple Crop Processing Zones (SCPZs) with raw materials
- Engaging in community mapping and monitoring to accelerate the conservation, development, and utilization of natural resources in rural communities.
- Facilitating institutional mainstreaming and capacity building enhancement to harness the potentials of rural dwellers in an integrated and sustainable manner for the purpose of optimizing productivity of agricultural investments.
- Establishing rural sector Data reference centre to support the implementation of the National Policy on Integrated Rural Development (NPIRD)
The Department is comprised of four (4) divisions and 2 units, namely:
- Rural Infrastructure Division
- Rural Financial Institutions Development Division
- Non-Farm Employment Support Services Division
- Rural Community Mobilization Division
- Policy and Data Management Unit
- Administrative Unit